It’s been an open secret for a while, but BBC Three controller Damian Kavanagh has now confirmed that Class won’t be returning.
The Doctor Who spin-off launched in late 2016, with creator/writer Patrick Ness announcing in June that he wouldn’t be “writing any more… even if a season 2 moves ahead.”
Speaking today (September 7) at a BPG (Broadcasting Press Guild) event, Kavanagh said: “No, [we’re not bringing it back]. There was nothing wrong with it – I thought Patrick did a great job, he explored an amazing world.
“In honesty, it just didn’t really land for us on BBC Three. Things sometimes don’t, and I’ve got to make decisions about what we’re going to do from a drama point of view.
“There’s always times when you do something and you have to decide that it’s not going to come back. Class is just one of those things.”
Ness wrote on Twitter: “I’m not an unopinionated man, but all I’ll say re the Class news is how proud I am of that show and how lucky I am to have had the opportunity.
“What a great experience to make it. And SUCH a great cast. And thank you for all the love for it, too! Would that things were different…”
Series star Greg Austin – who played Charlie – had previously told Digital Spy that there was story potential for more Class.
“There’s a long way for these characters to go,” he said. “By the end of the series, there’s some big choices that have to be made… that leave a lot of room for a lot of big consequences. That’s all I’m going to say!”
It is, of course, a period of transition for Doctor Who – showrunner Steven Moffat and current lead Peter Capaldi will exit the show this Christmas, to be replaced by Broadchurch writer Chris Chibnall and Jodie Whittaker, the first female Doctor, in 2018.